University Diploma French Studies - 180 hoursApril - June
From 25th April to 23rd June 2016
25 hours per week
Price: 880 €
- Language and culture classes each morning and after lunch.
- Workshops or elective classes each afternoon (depending on level)
- Educational excursions (a visit to the local market or newspaper, for example) could be included.
- An average of 15-17 students per group.
- Upon completion of the course, you will be awarded a University Diploma in French Studies (180 hours), based on progressive assessment.
- A certificate is provided upon request.
Students must have proof of valid insurance in order to take part in any excursions
At the beginning of each session students must complete a short test designed to determine their current level of French. Students will then be divided into groups, which are based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL). Any student who is absent on the day of the placement test will only be accepted if their corresponding group is not full.
A1 – Breakthrough/Beginner level
Students will learn about the language and how to communicate in everyday situations.
A2 – Way stage or elementary level
Reinforcement and practise of everyday French, spoken and written.
B1 – Threshold or intermediate level
Continuation of language learning through an intensive study of French culture and society.
B2 – Advanced or independent level
For students who display a certain level of proficiency in their use of French. At this level students will review and expand upon current knowledge, while learning new aspects to ensure a degree of fluency in written and oral communication.
C1 – Mastery level (for autonomous users)
For students with a very advanced level of French, in-depth study of grammatical concepts, working towards understanding different registers through the study of authentic oral and written documents, and improvement of written expression. Exploration of the links between language, culture and civilisation.
Oral expression is constantly developed through various learning activities (conversation, role playing, etc.); written expression is also a key focus, developed using a variety of techniques.
Authentic documents (videos, songs, posters, ads, etc.) are used to improve written and oral comprehension.
Evaluation of the student during the course is based on formative assessment
The I.E.F.E. reserves the right to cancel this session in the case of limited numbers (less than 10 students per group).
- A free phonetics workshop is available (students sign up weekly)
- Computer lab with free internet access
DELF-DALF examination session
There will be an examination session for all levels of the DELF-DALF, from 15th-17th May.
Enrolment for these examinations is at the I.E.F.E. office by no later than 22nd April.
For all information concerning these examinations, consult the DELF-DALF page.
Accomodation (Payment on arrival)
- On-campus accommodation Single room, around 260€
Payment upon arrival in cash or by bankcard to CLOUS (Student Services)
- In a host family (Private bedroom with breakfast): around 260€
For on-campus accommodation, shared kitchens are available on each floor.
There is also the possibility to dine:
- On campus at the university cafeteria, La Vague (around 3€ per meal)
- Close to the campus (supermarket, fast food, takeaway, etc.)
- Download and print the form below. Send the completed form the I.E.F.E. with a cheque or proof of electronic transfer (ask the I.E.F.E. office for bank details) for the 370€ deposit (the remainder to be paid on the first day of classes).
- Write to or telephone the secretary of the I.E.F.E., who will send you an enrolment form.
The deposit will be forfeited for any cancellation. The balance is due on the first day of the course. The full price will be forfeited if the student fails to notify the I.E.F.E. of non-attendance prior to this date.
Health insurance is mandatory.
Students must have proof of valid insurance in order to take part in any excursions.
Contact details I.E.F.E. office
Ph. 33 (0)5 59 40 73 85
iefe @ univ-pau.fr (iefe @ univ-pau.fr)