Preparing for Pau

Follow us!



Preparing for Pau

Visa and insurance


Non-European students

Any student wishing to enrol in a course longer than three months must obtain a long-stay visa (visa de long séjour) from the embassy or consulate in their home countries. This visa is obligatory in order to obtain a temporary residence permit (carte de séjour) in France which will be valid for the length of your studies (produire une fiche d’état civil)?. You will need a certificate of enrolment to obtain your student visa (which we can provide you with upon request). Check with your local French consulates for further details o visa requirements.

European students

European students do not require a visa.


As of the 1st September 2018, the obligation to be enrolled in the student social security regime and the contribution to the student scheme (€217) have been ABOLISHED.


For students who were not registered with a university  :

-    European students: are covered by the European social security card and do not need to take any additional steps.


-    Students from outside the European Union, who have never been enrolled with a French social security organisation: for enrollment in a course that lasts more than 3 months, a pre-enrollment on the site will be required to obtain a temporary social security number. Following this, the student will be attached to the CPAM at PAU (the general health insurance office). Students will not be able to use private health insurance underwritten in their home country.


Get more information in one click!


CVEC - Financial contribution to campus and student activities


CVEC is a COMPULSORY contribution of €103 for all foreign and French students enrolled in a university, regardless of age, or level of education.

It must be paid to the CROUS: it is a charge that is additional to the registration fee.

It can be paid:

-    Online by credit card at: 

-    By cash at the post office, where the student will be given a remittance advice. This service costs €5, with a waiting time of approximately two days to obtain the certificate.


Students who are required to pay the CVEC:

-    All students enrolled at IEFE

-    Interns in unfunded continuing education

-    Students with a government grant (French or foreign)


Students who do not have to pay the CVEC but who must provide a certificate of exemption:

-    Refugees, beneficiaries of subsidiary protection or asylum seekers


Students who do not have to pay the CVEC nor provide certification:

-    All international students hosted in France as part of an inter-university partnership (Universities of XI'AN, JIANGHAN, HEBEI, SUNGSHIN, QINGDAO, USAC etc...)


Public liability insurance

If you wish to rent privately, you must provide a certificate of public liability insurance (attestation d’assurance responsabilité civile). You will also be asked to provide this certificate upon enrolment at the University.
If you do not have your own public liability insurance, you can take one out upon your arrival in France by contacting student insurance companies, or certain banks.